There are probably dozens of reasons why someone would like to install a fence on their property in Calgary. Some of these include:
- Safety of children and pets – You could be worried about some of the features that surround your home like ponds, lakes, steep hills, etc. With a fence, that keeps your loved ones safer from injuring themselves. Another protective element is preventing animals or children from venturing too far afield or getting lost.
- Security – A fence will deter someone from entering your property or prevent deer from munching on your trees or vegetables.
- Boundaries – It is a very physical expression of the limits of your property line. This can be a benefit with neighbours who allow their pets to roam unattended.
- Privacy – Many people want to reserve their landscape for themselves so that they can wear what they want and do what they want away from prying eyes.
- Aesthetics – Curb appeal is one of the prime reasons for that white picket fence in the front yard.
- Sound and Sight Abatement – Especially for those who live on a busy street, near highways or other areas, moderating the noise that comes into the property is a real plus. It can also help shield you from your neighbour’s strange yard art. Perhaps you want it for your own concealment of a dumpster or your compost pile.
Whatever reason you may want a fence, there are also different types of fencing that will give you the results you want. Let’s start with height:
- Privacy fence – This is usually about 5 or 6 feet high.
- Dog fence – It will depend on the size and breed of your pet. Four feet will easily contain a small dog, but a larger animal or one that likes to jump may need closer to a six-foot structure.
- Pool fence – Generally these are four feet tall and can be quite decorative.
- Garden fence – A low, picket fence will be a nice border to your landscape to let passersby enjoy your flowers but keep little feet from trampling the flowers.
Then you also need to consider the materials for your fence like wood, metal, chain link, composite, vinyl and other materials. When all of that is decided, you can think about color and decoration, if appropriate.
Obviously, there is a lot to consider when you are thinking about adding a fence to your property. For help choosing your style and type of fence, contact Project Landscape. We have professionals who are happy to help you with all the decisions and give you the best product for your space and needs.