Retaining walls serve two purposes. The first is structural to provide support to a vertical or steep slope. The retaining wall will shore up the soil and prevent further erosion. The second is the aesthetic of a landscape. It can create a small garden or quiet area for respite. It can coordinate or enhance the current landscape by providing a hardscape contrast.
Retaining walls can be constructed using a number of colors, dimensions, styles and materials. They can be incorporated into raised patios or bridge gaps between levels of a yard. Constructed correctly they are able to resist the lateral pressure of the soil and prevent damage to trees and structures.
One good choice for a retaining wall is one made from concrete. There are, of course, advantages to other material usage, but here are some specific to concrete.
- Strength – Concrete is incredibly strong, which is what you are looking for when you are trying to hold back a hill of dirt. As the concrete completes the curing process, it will become even stronger.
- Durability – A concrete wall can last for decades or longer. This is important because you really don’t want to have it rebuilt every few years.
- Resistance to the Elements – A concrete retaining wall won’t burn, rot, or rust. Precast concrete can also withstand the freeze and thaw cycles found in Calgary’s winters.
- Installation – Masonry will take time and the additional labor will mean additional cost.
- Flexibility – Using concrete means you can create curves and angles with very little trouble. It gives the ability to contour to the land and to create an area that will be harmonious with the other surroundings.
- Appearance – Concrete is no longer the boring, smooth, gray rock. You can color the concrete to whatever shade you want. It can be finished to look like stone or a natural stone veneer added to the face.
- Low Maintenance – There is not much to cleaning. About once a year just tidy it up a bit. Periodically check for any cracks or wear. Patching is simple with some mortar.
- Eco-friendly – Concrete does not emit any off gas allergens or dangerous chemicals. It is largely made from natural materials like clay, limestone, or other mineral. Normally the raw products are sourced locally.
- Affordable – As compared with other building materials, concrete for a retaining wall is in about the middle of the price range. That means you will be getting the best value for the money you spend.
There are three basic types of concrete wall construction. There are concrete blocks, precast panels, or traditional poured in place. You can choose the method that fits your situation and pocketbook.
If you would like to learn more about concrete retaining walls, just contact us through this website or give us a call. We will be happy to discuss your situation. If you like, we can come to your home or business to view the space and offer our opinion and estimate.