When the cooler weather upon us, it’s important to start preparing your landscape for the harsh winter ahead. Hiring commercial landscaping Calgary experts like us at Project Landscape is one of the best ways to make sure your outdoor spaces are winter ready.
Here are Some Fall Landscaping Tips
Our team will make sure that all the plantings in your landscape are cared for and that the different gardening tasks are completed before winter sets in. Here are some tips from our Calgary landscaping experts:
- Fall is the perfect time to plant shrubs and trees, remove annuals as well as cut back perennials.
- It also an excellent time to get your lawns ready for next spring.
- It’s important to keep watering your plants and grass with regularity. The shrubs and trees that have been deprived of water can become easily stressed during the cold winter months. Continue watering trees and shrubs until the ground freezes
- Transplant young trees/shrubs to new locations.
- Rake and compost all the fallen leaves.
- Cut diseased sections out of perennials. Don’t compost these.
- Clean up all the debris. Remove all fallen fruit and vegetable plants.
- Remove all dead annuals from the garden, after each frost.
- Cut back foliage from all perennials to discourage pests. Leave the flowers that have seeds for the birds.
- Trim all the tall grass away from the corners of your home and from around the trees. This discourages rodents from building nests.
- Dig up all tender bulbs such as canna, gladiola etc. Wrap them up carefully in moist gardening material and store them in a dark, cool space.
- If you want to plant neurosis shrubs and deciduous trees, October is the best time to do it. The cold weather is perfect for growth, and the plants take root quickly. The soil is also much easier to work with during the season.
- But this is also the perfect time to nourish your soil for next year’s gardening work. Spread a fresh layer of shredded leaves, topsoil, manure or compost over your garden. When this breaks down during the winter months, it will significantly improve the quality of the clay or sandy soil.
These jobs can be quite tedious and time-consuming, and its best to hire the services of landscaping Calgary professionals like us. For any more information about our expert services, feel free to contact us at 403-407-5777 or drop us a line via this Online Form and we will revert shortly.